Friday, July 21, 2006

Al-Fatehah

In memory of my late grandmother
Hajjah Juriah bte Ahmad "Bah"



Somehow i knew, i was never in her good books. She always prefered my elder brother. But its okay, i grew to find comfort in subtle hostilities.

I grew to find peace in the your room, where my brothers and me used to sleep. Musty, lingering with your fragrance of potent Jasmine Hair Oil.

I used to stare at your stone encrusted ring, green, secretly at nights, when my eyes could not rest as the moonlight evaded the space. Somehow, i knew you knew. comfort grew from there.

I grew to find comfort on slippery bathroom floor, holding on to the copper pipes, as you lather me with vigor and made sure i came out squeaky clean. I remember vividly those noisy red 'trompahs'.

I grew to find comfort in the warm mug of coffee we would all share, sitting in front of the tv and gingerly dipping crackers to soak.

I grew to find comfort as you smother ground-up green paste on my blemished body, everyday when i had chicken pox.

I grew and found comfort in your hearty laugh.

I grow to find comfort...


Nenek, aen tak nyanyi dekat tingkap lagi



My only regret is not to have captured you in pictures.
You are an expression of solitude among an immense abundance of offsprings.

and in the early times of vunerablity, you carried me in your arms.
and tmrw i would support you to your final resting place.

Nenek Connie
Pahlawan Putih